This position is also responsible for the creation of internal and external training classes and carrying out the training to employees of the company as well as people of the community who enroll in the training.
* Develop training content and arrange training for employees- new and existing, track training expiry dates, perform in-house training as necessary or contract out to appropriate trainers for external training for certain courses. Offer training of certain courses to the public.
* Ensures that federal, provincial and local safety laws, regulations, codes and rules are observed and followed. Keep up to date on developments in federal and provincial safety laws likely to affect the company.
* Assist in OHSA record keeping and reporting requirements.
* Assists staff to understand OHSA regulations and standards, including guidance on handling regulatory compliance, inspections and enforcement activities.
* Assists staff to implement and adhere to company health & safety program and policy.
* Assist in investigating injuries, which occur at company facilities and job sites, in conjunction with appropriate members of management.
* Assist in evaluating hazardous conditions and practices, and develops hazard control practices and programs.
* Guides and assists employees at various locations with any safety and health concerns.
* Assist in compiling company's health & safety statistics.
* Assist in the development of company specific safe work practices and safe work procedures.
* Conduct general new hire orientations and ensure field employees have the appropriate site-specific orientations if applicable.
Assist management to understand and drive a positive safety culture
* Monitor and review safety data, and provide reports to upper management.
* Involvement with continuous improvement and projects in the health and safety department.
* Site safety visits as required and document using ``Jobsite Monthly Safety Inspection'' form
* Health & Safety meetings - take minutes
* Assist in the company's subcontractor document review program and process contractor packages to the H&S Coordinator for approval.
* Maintain accurate records to ensure compliance with health and safety laws and regulations.
* Assist in the creation of monthly/weekly safety talks for the distribution to employees.
Environmental, Physical & Cognitive Demands
This position requires physical effort in the form of:
* Bending / Stooping
* Crawling / Kneeling
* Lifting (1 to 50 lbs)
* Carrying (1 to 50 lbs)
This position is exposed to:
* Noise (PPE required & supplied)
* Fumes / Gases / Dust (PPE required & some are supplied)
* Radiation, Welding Arcs, Flash Arcs
* High/Low temperature extremes
* Conditions where exposure to risk of injury/illness
This position requires frequent psychological effort in the form of:
* Mental effort
* Cognitive skills
* Critical thinking
* Problem solving
* Interaction with employees and management
Work is to be performed in a well ventilated, open concept office environment with adequate lighting and temperature.
Standard office equipment will be used such as computers, photocopiers, fax, phone, etc.
This job also requires the ability to travel around using a company vehicle to different job sites to complete site inspections, conduct training, etc.
Knowledge and Skills
This position requires a college diploma/certificate in health and safety or a related field; and/or 1 (one) to 3 (three) years' related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.