The roles and responsibilities of a real estate paralegal primarily focus on clerical responsibilities, but additional tasks may be added to the workload. Some of the common expectations for a real estate paralegal job description are:
- Strong understanding of legal terminology and real estate verbiage.
- Attend meetings while taking and consolidating notes.
- Transcribe, proofread, and file legal documents prior to deadlines.
- Manage travel logistics for one or more attorneys.
- Answer phones and take messages.
- Manage schedules.
- Schedule court depositions, hearings, and other meetings as determined by an attorney.
- Keep and organize court files.
Day to Day Duties
- Negotiate contracts with real estate agents, buyers, sellers, contractors, and title companies.
- Understand, draft, and file bankruptcy pleadings and escrow documents.
- Draft affidavits and prepare for depositions.
- Communicate effectively with insurance companies and adjusters regarding cases.
- Collaborate with landlords, real estate brokers, housing managers, and other real estate professionals.
- Maintain organization of all court cases, hearings, depositions and other court-related material.